You must bring a laptop. Don’t forget that power supply. We recommend more than 1 Gb of RAM and at least 10 Gb of free disk space. External USB or Firewire drives really help. We will help you get organized and install the right software for continued virtual fun! We have wireless Internet access. If not, make sure that all required software is on your machine when you arrive.
The WinRT libraries have hooks in it to take advantage of various hardware on your device. For the next hands on labs we will be creating an application that uses the camera to take a picture. Window 8 is also a very sandboxed environment so we will also show how to save files to the hard drive so that they are accessible from any application – desktop or Windows UI.
- Win 8 release preview ISO: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download
- Visual Studio 2012: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/products/visualstudio
- Windows 8 Camp in a box (Labs/docs/etc.): http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29854
- We will be using the JS version of the labs (Windows8CampJS.exe)
- You can still follow along without Win 8, but will not be able to participate