You must bring a laptop. Don’t forget that power supply. We recommend more than 1 Gb of RAM and at least 10 Gb of free disk space. We will help you get organized and install the right software for continued virtual fun! We have wireless Internet access so you can download on-site.
Over eight months we will cover ASP.NET 5 and Azure Apps in depth. This is month three of the series. These Hands-On Labs will use a mix of popular tools and Visual Studio. Follow the instruction at https://github.com/aspnet/Home to add the new web framework to your laptop. This will not interfere with your existing .NET and Visual Studio work. This lab will require the Visual Studio 2015 RC that was releases at the Build conference.
The lab uses the MVC template to build a simple web site for philly.NET. The new configuration changes, folder structures, Web API controllers, and basic Razor syntax are explored. Part two of the lab dives deeper into some new coding techniques used to develop tag helpers.
ASP.NET 5 is a significant redesign of ASP.NET. This session introduces the new concepts in ASP.NET 5 and explains how they help you develop modern web apps. ASP.NET 5 includes the following features:
- New flexible and cross-platform runtime
- New modular HTTP request pipeline
- Cloud-ready environment configuration
- Unified programming model that combines MVC, Web API, and Web Pages
- Ability to see changes without re-building the project
- Side-by-side versioning of the .NET Framework
- Ability to self-host or host on IIS
- New tools in Visual Studio 2015
- Open source in GitHub