Our monthly hands-on lab series continues on Tuesday nights at Microsoft. The next session will be held at the Microsoft Mid-Atlantic Office in Malvern, PA on January 8 from 5:30-8:00. Refreshments are provided courtesy of philly.NET. Detailed directions are on the Microsoft web site.
You must bring a laptop. Don’t forget that power supply. We recommend more than 1 Gb of RAM and at least 10 Gb of free disk space. External USB or Firewire drives really help. We will help you get organized and install the right software for continued virtual fun! We have wireless Internet access. If not, make sure that all required software is on your machine when you arrive.
Windows 8 includes a consistent method for sharing and searching in the system. You can add the ability to Share and Search to your own apps through the use of Contracts. In this hands on lab Ryan will show how to add a Sharing contract to your app and Rob will show how to add a Search contract. We will continue to use the grid application that retrieves data from the Philly.NET website. The source can be found at http://sdrv.ms/TIeu4R
- Win 8 release preview ISO: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download
- Visual Studio 2012: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/products/visualstudio
- Windows 8 Camp in a box (Labs/docs/etc.): http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29854
- We will be using the JS version of the labs (Windows8CampJS.exe)
- You can still follow along without Win 8, but will not be able to participate